Helping to Grow God’s Kingdom
through Endowment Giving
The kingdom of God…is like a mustard seed, which…is the smallest of all the seeds on earth; Yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes the greatest of all shrubs, and puts forth large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade.” –Mark 4:31-32
One person can make a tremendous difference in helping grow God’s kingdom on earth. Just as one seed grows into a plant that can bring life to many, the gifts we plant today can create life-giving blessings that endure. You can leave a legacy to present and future generations, helping grow the ministries of First Church. Through outright or deferred gifts, you will help our church bring life to many, for years to come.
What is the First United Methodist Church Endowment Fund?
Established in 1987, the Endowment Fund has provided members and friends opportunities to make charitable gifts, primarily through wills and trusts, to First Church that are a permanent endowment of financial support for the church and a living memorial to the donor. These funds are intended for purposes that are not a part of the church’s established programs funded through the annual operating budget of the church or the regular giving of its members.
A permanent endowment is a perpetual gift of income. The original gift is never spent by the church; the earnings that the endowment gift produces are used for ministry year after year. At First Church the Endowment Program is part of the Ministry of Planned Giving.
An endowment gift to First Church is a good way to say:
• We believe that God has a future with hope for the Lighthouse on the Ridge.
• We believe that all that we have is a trust from God.
• We want future generations to be able to delight in God’s grace revealed through First Church.
• In our lifetimes and beyond, we want to help grow God’s Kingdom on earth.
Endowment gifts can bear great blessings, for example:
• Funds to maintain our church’s facilities are available for not only emergency repairs, but also for preventative maintenance and capital improvements.
• Special mission projects and new ministries – which members had only dared to dream about – are part of our church’s identity and ongoing life.
• We’ve freed up our annual operating budget funds for growing the ministries that God is calling us to within our unique context.
To learn more about endowment giving at First Church, please contact Dr. Rich Darr at 847.825.3144 or at firstname.lastname@example.org, or see a member of the Ministry of Planned Giving Team.